He was born in Haman, Gyeongnam in 1936 and spent his childhood in Busan.
He led a theory and a practice of Monoha which is a significant art movement of Japan.
was born in Haman, Gyeongnam in 1936
and spent his childhood in Busan
In Korean War time, he entered College of Fine Arts at Seoul National University, but he went to Japan soon after and graduated from Nihon University with a Philosophy major. Currently, he is active in the international arena while he stays in Korea, Japan and France.
He awarded numerous art prizes of domestic and foreign countries such as Ho-Am Prize, UNESCO Art Prize in Paris, France and Japan World Culture Prize. He had numerous solo and group exhibitions in the world’s major art museums such as Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium, Paris Pompidou Center, and Berlin National Gallery. Especially, he had an invitational exhibition at Guggenheim Museum, New York in 2011 and Paris Palace of Versailles in 2014.
- 1936 Born in Haman, Gyeongnam in Korea
- 1956 Entered College of Fine Arts at Seoul National University and went to Japan 3 months later
- 1961 Graduated from Nihon University, Department of Philosophy, Tokyo
- 1967 Solo Exhibition – Sato Gallery, Tokyo
- 1968Contemporary Art of Korea, Tokyo National Museum of Modern Art
> Led the Mono-ha movement with production and criticism after knowing Sekine Nobuo in that summer.
- 1969Awarded prizes at 10th Sao Paulo Biennale, Tokyo International Youth Artists Art Exhibition, 9th Contemporary Japanese Art Exhibition, and from critical writing 「From Object to Being」
- 19717th Paris Youth Biennale, First trip to Europe and the States for 3 months, critical writing 「Finding the Meeting」(Tokyo Tabata Bookstore Publishing)
- 1973 Tokyo Lecturer of Tama Art University
- 1977 Kassel Documenta 6, 3rd Contemporary Japanese Art Exhibition, Tokyo National Museum of Modern Art Prize, ‘Sculpture’ (drawing 4 artists, Beyus, Sarah, Ryuke Liam, and Lee Ufan)- Staedel Museum in Frankfurt
- 1982'Mster of Today'- Nurnberg Metropolitan Museum of Art, ‘Material Gets Art’ - Berlin National Gallery
- 1986‘Japan of Avant-Garde Art’-Paris Pongpi Dusen
- 1986 Solo exhibition-Milan Museum Art, ‘Monoha’ - Museum of Contemporary Art, University of Rome
- 1989 'Croisement des Signes'- Arab Museum of Paris
- 1994 Solo exhibition – National Museum of Contemporary Seoul, ‘Postwar Modern Japan of Avant-Garde Art’- New York Guggenheim Soho
- 1995 ‘70, Monoha’-Santetienneu Museum of Art France
- 1997 Solo exhibition – Jeu de Pommeu National Gallery, Invited professor at Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts, Paris
- 1998 Solo exhibition - Staedel Museum in Frankfurt
- 1999 ‘Kunstwelten im Dialog’- Museum Ludwig, Cologne, Germany
- 2000 Awarded prizes from 3rd Shanghai Biennale UNESCO and Gwangju Biennale, Published「Margins of Art」
- 2001 ‘City of the Century’- Tate Modern in London, ‘Monoha’-Kettle’s Yard Cambridge Museum
Solo exhibition-Kunst Museum Bonn Germany, 11th Hoam Art Prize, 13th World Culture Prize (Painting), Tokyo
- 2003 ‘Happiness’- Mori Art Museum, Tokyo, Japan
Solo exhibition- Hoam Gallery Samsung Museum of Contemporary Art
- 2005 ‘Mohoha Reconsideration’-National Museum of Contemporary Art, Osaka Solo exhibition- Santetienneu Museum of Art and Yokohama Museum of Art
- 2006 6th Gwangju Biennale, ‘Dansaekhwa and Monoha’
- 2007 Solo exhibition-Palazzo Palumbo Fossati, 52nd Venice Biennale, rejection of the Legion of Honor
- 2008 Solo exhibition- Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium and Dahlem Museum, Berlin
- 2010 Opened Lee Ufan Art Gallery (Hukutake Art Foundation) in Kagawa, Naoshina
- 2011 Solo exhibition-Solomon Guggenheim Museum in New York, Personal Structures Palazzo Bembo
54th Venice Biennale, ‘The World Belongs to You’- Palazzo Grassi
- 2012 ‘Requiem for the Sun- Monoha’-Blum & Poe, Los Angeles
‘Tokyo 1955–1970: A New Avant-Garde’-Museum of Modern Art, New York
- 2013 ‘Monoha and Arte Povera’ -Punta della Dogana, Venice
- 2014 Solo exhibition- Versaille Palace, ‘Dansaekhwa’- Blum & Poe, Los Angeles and Kukje Gallery, Seoul Awarded Geumgwan Order of Culture Merit